Lets go through the high level background of traditional SQL which will be used by the majority of database providers.
What is SQL ?
SQL (Structured Query Language) is an industry standard language for Relational Databases like Oracle, MySQL, Ms SQL server, Sybase, and so on.
SQL is widely accepted as the standard Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) language.
Both ANSI(American National Standards Institute) and the ISO/IEC (International Organization for Standardization/International Electrotechnical Commission) have accepted SQL as the standard language for relational databases.
- Processing data sets as group rather than individual units.
- Providing automatic navigation to the data.
- SQL statements are used to execute tasks such as update data or pull data from a database.
- Support of Flow-control statements which are known as “Persistent Stored Modules”.
- The SQL statements of an transaction is either commited or rolled back via rollback statement.
- SQL can be used with Oracle, Java,.NET, PHP, Hadoop, Python, Node.js.
SQL provides statements for various operations like
- Query the data(for example – select * from table_name).
- Insert, update, and delete rows in a table.
- Creating, replacing, altering, and dropping objects.
- For database consistency and integrity.
- Controlling access to the database and its objects.
Classication of SQL
Following are the classification types of SQL.
- Data Definition Language (DDL).
- Data Manipulation Language (DML).
- Data Retrieval Language (DRL).
- Data Control Language (DCL).
- Transaction Control Language (TCL).