- AutoSys Workload Automation is a multi-platform automated job control system that provides scheduling, monitoring, and reporting of AutoSys jobs.
- These AutoSys jobs and their respective job definitions/JIL will be defined in the centralized AutoSys server.
- The Autosys server will communciate with the remote AutoSys agent(which were installed in the remote machine like windows/unix) to perform the job operations.
Following AutoSys wiki article will help you to understand about the robust features and functions of this job scheduling tool.
- AutoSys Features
- AutoSys Benefits
- AutoSys is the leader among Job Scheduling Management System Tools?
- Workflow of AutoSys/Autosys Architecture
- Creating AutoSys Jobs
- AutoSys Job Types
- AutoSys Job Status/States – Infographic
- AutoSys ON HOLD vs ON ICE
- Managing File Transfer(FTP/SFTP/SCP) Jobs in AutoSys
- What are AutoSys JIL file/scripts?
- AutoSys Commands – Cheat Sheet
- AutoSys Alarms
- Best Practices For AutoSys Errors/Exception Handling
- AutoSys Exit Codes/Exit Status
- Oracle E-Business Suite Jobs
- AutoSys FAQ’s/Common Interview Questions
A short video from ca technologies explains, how application dev teams efficiently monitor and manage enterprise workloads, from anywhere at any time, with a customizable dashboard using CA Workload Automation DE.
AutoSys Features :
- AutoSys Workload Automation (formerly CA Workload Automation AE) provides end-to-end control, visibility of enterprise application workloads and dependencies for the business-critical application workload.
- AutoSys Workload Automation is delivered by Broadcom Inc.
- Autosys Workload automation is one stop solution for job management and scheduling.It acts like autonomous systems for enterprise job management.
- Supports database like Microsoft SQL database, Oracle SQL database, Sybase, and IBM DB2 (using DB jobs you can execute SQL commands, SQL queries or any other search query against a database).
- AutoSys tool supports scheduling and execution of ETL tool jobs like datastage etl.
- AutoSys Workload Automation provides workflow job details for each job in a pictorial representation along with event report definition. It also supports running jobs through virtual machine.
- autosys workload automation provides integration feature for hadoop where it allows to visualize and manage the hadoop xml jobs and standard jobs from centralized location.
- autosys workload automation is cloud ready and supports majority of cloud platforms like aws data pipeline.
- Autosys is supported for Windows, Unix, Solaris, AIX, Linux, HP-UX servers, Unix Sybase sql server, IBM Mainframes.
- An web server provides run time environment for running web services.
- Supports SSIS/DTS package execution (using dtexec command line utility)
- Other alternate or extra technology’s of AutoSys job scheduling tools in market are BMC Control-M, Skybot, Tivoli Workload Scheduler, Flux, Batchman, Active Batch and so on.
- SDLC scrum friendly and offers unicenter service desk
- AutoSys latest installation version is Autosys r11 (also supports java 1.7).
- compatible with AWK programming language.
- Powerful Analytics, Visualization, Simulation and Authorization Capabilities.
- Autosys supports failover server activites commonly done during diaster recovery or business continuity process
- Providing capability to integrate with ServiceNow by using CA connector.
AutoSys Benefits :
- Increase organization productivity.
- Improve operational efficiency.
- Better reliability and flexibility with less effort and cost.
- Business continuity and Reduced risk of downtime.
AutoSys is the leader among Job Scheduling Management System Tools?
Undoubtedly Yes ! As per the survey conducted by TechValidate “68% of surveyed customers prefer CA Workload Automation over BMC Control-M for visualizing workloads across the enterprise.”
Workflow of AutoSys/Autosys Architecture :
Remote Agent, Event Server, Event Processor are the build blockings of the AutoSys.
Remote Agent : Remote Agent is a process triggered by the event processor to execute a task on remote machine(client machine).
Event Server(AutoSys Database) : Event Server is the repository where respective job events and job definitions are stored.
Event Processor : Event Processor is a crucial component, It reads and processes all the events from the database (event server) and this process can be a window service or unix . Event Processor will scan the database events continously.
Creating AutoSys Jobs:
There are two ways to create an job definitions.
Using AutoSys GUI(AutoSys Graphical User Interface) :Through AutoSys GUI, attributes can be set to describe where, when, and how a job should be run.
Using Job Information Language (JIL) via command-line interface : JIL is a specification language whichs has its own commands to describe where, when, and how a job should be run.In other words its a kind of schema which has its own data types and a defined structure/syntax.Also environment variable can be passed as profile in JIL script.
AutoSys Job Types:
Following are the job type in autosys
Command job : The name itself suggests, i.e Command jobs execute commands. An AutoSys command job is a single command or executable, NT batch file, or unix script/shell script (scripting language).
AutoSys File Watcher job : The AutoSys file watcher job will watch for the arrival of particular file.
Box (box jobs) : AutoSys box jobs are containers that consists other jobs (including other boxes), The box job can be used to control and organize process flow.An impressive feature of this type of job is, boxes can be put another boxes.
AutoSys Job Status/States – Infographic
The tool keeps track of the status of every job. The job status is used to determine when to start other jobs that are dependent on the job.
The following are the list of job status and their respective AutoSys change status behaviours.
STARTING : An event is initiated to the start job procedure with the remote agent.
RUNNING : Means the job is in running mode. Incase if the job is a box job, this value simply means that the jobs within the AutoSys box may be started.
INACTIVE : Means the job is inactive. The job has been never executed or its status was intentionally marked to turnoff its previous completion status.
ACTIVATED : The top-level box that this job is resided is now in RUNNING state, but note that job itself has not started yet.
SUCCESS : The job completed successfully, by default the exit code ‘0’ is considered as success. In case of box job, success status means that all the jobs inside the box has completed successfully.
FAILURE : The job is failed, which means the exit code is greater than zero.
TERMINATED : The job is terminated while in the running state. A job can be terminated when user sends a KILL job event.
RESTART : The job was unable to start due to application or hardware problems and has been scheduled to restart.
QUE_WAIT : The job is read to run, but there are not enough machine resources available.
ON HOLD : The job is ON HOLD and will not run until it receives job OFF HOLD event.
ON ICE : The job will be ON ICE ( AutoSys jobs on ice) until it receives OFF ICE event. In other words, ICE job can be ON/OFF.
AutoSys ON HOLD vs ON ICE
Its one of the standard AutoSys interview questions and here are the details of autosys condition which covers ON ICE to OFF ICE vs ON HOLD to OFF HOLD.
- When a job is ON HOLD and If the same job has been kept OFF HOLD, Its runs incase of job starting conditions were met/satisfied.
- When a job is OFF ICE and If the same Job has been kept OFF ICE, Its will not run even though the respective job starting conditions were met/satisfied.
- If a job is ON HOLD, The dependent jobs will not run.
- Where as If a job is ON ICE, the depedent will run as per the schedule.
Managing File Transfer(FTP/SFTP/SCP) Jobs in AutoSys
File Transfer jobs allows transfering of binary, ASCII, and EBCDIC files between an agent computer or remote location and a remote FTP server.
Following file transfer jobs can be defined:
Lets you transfer files using File Transfer Protocol(FTP).
We can securely transfer binary or ASCII files using the Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP). Also SFTP protocol supports wildcard transfers, which means you can upload multiple files to a remote FTP server or download multiple files to the agent machine.
We can securely transfer binary files using the Secure Copy Protocol (SCP). Note that SCP protocol doesn’t support wildcard transfers.
What are AutoSys JIL file/scripts?
JIL (Job Information Language) file/scripts are used to built an job definition via command-line interface.
AutoSys JIL scripts contain one or multiple subcommands and one or multiple attribute statements.
The following are the autosys jil commands syntax for subcommand and attribute.
sub_command -> Defines a JIL sub command.
object_name -> Defines the name of the object (i,e job / machine) to act on.
attribute_keyword -> Defines a valid JIL attribute.
value -> Defines the setting to apply a attribute.
1. Sample AutoSys JIL example for an command job “helloJob.jil”
machine :unix machine name
command :echo “Hello this a welcome command job”
note: insert job denotes the job name
2. To add the command job “helloJob.jil” in database(db)
Run the following autosys unix commands.
jil < echoJob.jil
If you want to read JIL tag and the corresponding job associated with it and load the information via datastage, then you can grep the JIL script.
grep “hello_job:echo” *.jil | cut -d ‘ ‘ -f2
by using above command synatax solution, you can get the job names, either through Filter options available in Sequential file stage or a script and load using datastage job.
3. AutoSys update job :
Save into a jil file and run it using jil script command jil < filename.jil
owner: [email protected]
Let’s go through each attribute of autosys jil commands from above example
insert_job: Its a JIL keyword which is used as Name to identify a job.
job_type: Its basically defines type of a job aand in this case C refers to a Command Job.
command: This attribute can be any command, UNIX shell script, executable, or batch file.
machine: The client machine on which the command should run.
owner: It will be the userID on which the command will be running.
permission: First letter (g,w,m) combination refers to group user and last letter (x,e) refers to the rights for edit (e) and execute(x).
date_conditions: The AutoSys date_conditions which enables the run calendar for the respective job.
days_of_week: Days on which the job should run.
start_times:autosys start times, This specifies start time of job that it should trigger/run.
term_run_time:term_run_time will result in a job status being set to Terminated after specified time (as per example above, it will set the job status to terminated after running 180 minutes).
alarm_if_fail : If the value is 1, then you will receive an failure alert and If the value is 0, then you will not receive any alert. max run alarm in AutoSys is an classic example for this. Whenever job runs than the specified time, an max run alarm alert will trigger.
Note: AutoSys start_mins can be leveraged, if a job has to be triggered every minute/minutes. The following syntax will start the job for every 10 mins
AutoSys Commands – Cheat Sheet
Following AutoSys cheat sheet consists list of Autosys commands used in unix or any other operating system.
|To convert from CRON to JIL (only in UNIX)||cron2jil|
|To define objects like jobs/machines||jil|
|For event commands||sendevent|
|Check system status||autoflags|
|To define calendars||autocal_asc|
|To maintain Databases||archive_jobs|
|To report job status||autorep|
|To monitor jobs||autosyslog|
|To report job dependencies and conditions||job_depends|
|To manage security||autosys_secure|
|To manage time zone||autotimezone|
Out of above, let me go through some important AutoSys commands that are frequently used.
autocal_asc command :
autocal_asc is used to define AutoSys calendars.
AutoSys calendars are very helpful incase of job/box specific events, that has to be processed based on a date in a calendar (eg: holiday batch processing based on the date etc).
AutoSys condition parameter “date_conditions” is related to calendar concepts.
For a job to run ‘standalone’, the ‘Date/Time conditions’ attribute in the ‘Schedule’ section must reflect ‘true’. If the date_conditions field is not set to ‘1’ (true), AutoSys will review ignore any ‘Days’ or ‘Time’ attributes and rely solely of dependencies for scheduling.
If the ‘Date/Time conditions are ‘true’, the job or job box will also reference ‘Run days’, or ‘Run calendar’ and/or ‘Exclude Calendar’; and, ‘Times of day’ or ‘Minutes past hour’. These attributes will be covered in more details in other sections of autosys documentation.
CRON2JIL command :
Cron is a job scheduler in unix based operating systems. It is used to schedule a job (either command or the scripts )that runs at fixed intervals, schedule.
Cron is controlled by a crontab file, a config file that defines shell commands to run cyclically on a specified schedule.
cron2jil command is used to convert from CRON to JIL.
sendevent command :
The AutoSys sendevent command is a component that sends events to start or stop jobs, stop the AutoSys scheduler, put a job on hold, set a AutoSys global variables,cancel a scheduled jobs event and so on.
The following are some of the sample sendevent commands, generally it will be denoted by using sendevent e job name.
To start a job : sendevent -E STARTJOB -J
To force start a job : sendevent -E FORCE_STARTJOB -J
AutoSys ON ICE : sendevent -E ON_ICE -J
To put job OFF ICE : sendevent -E OFF_ICE -J
AutoSys kill job: sendevent -E KILLJOB -J
Event logs can be verified to check the output, errors.
Calling an AutoSys job from Unix Script(AutoSys commands in unix):
we can call an AutoSys job via unix script, following is an example
JobName : SchedulerCommand
Custom Script Name: callJob.ksh
Server : AutoSys Server
In shell script “callJob.ksh”, use the below sendevent command to pass the event type and job name.
sendevent -E FORCE_STARTJOB -J SchedulerCommand
Now save the unix script and invoke it using command ./callJob.ksh from AutoSys server. that’s it, the job ‘SchedulerCommand’ will be successfully force started.
The AutoSys autorep command is a component that generates reports about jobs, machines, and global variables defined in database. The autorep command pulls data from the database to formulate the reports.
autorep command can be used to achieve the following.
- Displaying the current machine load information.
- Backing up job definitions by extracting definitions and saving them to an output file.
- Displaying a summary of all defined jobs.
- Listing relvant information of any job last run (previous run).
If you want to check the job definition history changes in AutoSys, then you can acieve it using autorep command below
autorep -j “mention the job name”
Also by using wildcards(%) with autorep command, you can export the AutoSys JIL’s.
autorep -j % -q > /temp/filename.jil
autorep Command Syntax:
|command purpose||autorep command syntax|
|To report on jobs in a group||autorep -B group [-d | -s | -q | -o overnum]|
[-I application] [-n] [-w] [-t]
[-R run_num] [-L print_level]
|To report on jobs in an application||autorep -I application [-d | -s | -q | -o overnum]|
[-B group] [-n] [-w] [-t]
[-R run_num] [-L print_level]
|To report on a machine||autorep -M machine [-p | -q] [-d | -s] [-n] [-w]|
|To report on a user-defined job type||autorep -Y job_type [-d | -s | -q ] [-n] [-w]|
|To report on global variables||autorep -G global_name [-n] [-w] [-d | -s]|
|To report on a external instance||autorep -X ext_instance [-s | -q ] [-n] [-w] [-t]|
|To report on a virtual resource||autorep -V virtual_resource_name [-d | -s | -q ] [-n] [-w]|
|To display the version number for the command||autorep -x|
|To display help for the command||autorep -?|
For an instance, AutoSys jobs could be dependent on a arrival file and if the file not yet arrived in an expected time frame, an alarm notification will alert the respective groups or stake holders to take appropriate action.
- Alarms are special events which provides notification mechanism during alarming situations like AutoSys job scheduler failures, dependencies.
- Upon these kind of notifications, it will allow manual interventions to address the issue.
- Alarms are system specific messages about a detected issue.
- Typically alarms are sent through system as a event.
Best Practices For AutoSys Errors/Exception Handling:
Exception Handling is one of the key attribute in the software life cycle and w.r.t AutoSys, it is best practice to have exception handling on failed operator which have exit path for only “retry” scenario. else, having retry without ever exiting the process results in endless loops.
Error/Err files or log files can be found by using following commands and at their respective locations
Scheduler and Application Server logs:
AutoSys WCC logs:
AutoSys agent logs:
Exit Codes/Exit Status
In general, a zero exit code indicates success; while a nonzero exit code indicates an error. Following are exit or error codes which are frequently seen.
Exit Code 1 : Missing System Agent configuration parameter “oscomponent.cmdprefix.force=true” and/or the Windows machine definition missing the “opsys: windows” (JIL) attribute.
Exit Code 2 : This error is coming from the first line in the job script where the shell was being sourced. The first line read ‘#!/usr/bin/ksh’. However, this was an invalid location for setting the shell interpreter which are typically located in /bin and not /usr/bin.
Exit Code 13 : Due to a permission error on the std_out_file.
Exit Code 15 : The job has been terminated.
Exit Code 101 : CHANGE_STATUS was performed on the job. for eg: The job was changed to FAILURE or TERMINATED status.
Exit Code 121 : Cannot open std_in_file. File does not exist or it is inaccessible.
Exit Code 122 : Cannot open std_out_file. File does not exist or it is inaccessible.
Exit Code 123 : Cannot open std_err_file. File does not exist or it is inaccessible.
Exit Code 127 : Directory that holds the executable is not in the command search PATH.
Exit Code 256 : Unable to execute the command.
Exit Code 512 : Incorrect command options.
Exit code 655/-655 SYSTEM_ERROR : STARTJOB failures because auto_remote will not start.
-656 NO_EXIT_CODE : exit_code field in database is initialized to this.
-657 PROCESS_MIA : Set by a chase-generated FAILURE event, for eg: chase cannot find the process.
Oracle E-Business Suite Jobs
Oracle job scheduler can be defined to run Oracle E-Business Suite workload.
Oracle job scheduler can be illustrated in the following ways.
- Request Set Job : To run multiple programs in oracle application.
- Single Request Job : To run single programs in oracle application
- Copy Single Request Job : copying the existing Single Request Job and running it under the AutoSys agent.
Autosys Interview Questions/Common FAQ’s
Now lets go through FAQ’s (Frequently Asked Questions) in Autosys. Particulary these question and answers will be helpful for interviews.
1. What is AutoSys?
Refer here for Answer
2. What is global name in AutoSys batch scheduling tool?
Refer “To report on global variables” in the Table
3. What are all the Autosys job status?
Refer here for Answer
4. What is AutoSys JIL file?
Refer here for Answer
5. Where can we download AutoSys job scheduling tool?
You can request Trial version
6. How to create an Autosys Job?
Refer here for Answer
7. What is file watcher in AutoSys?
File watcher job will watch for the arrival of specific file defined.
8. How to check the job definition history changes in AutoSys?
By running command “autorep -j”. where -j refers to job name.
9. How to export Autosys JIL command?
By applying wildcards(%) with autorep command, we can export the AutoSys JIL’s.
autorep -j % -q > /temp/filename.jil
10.How to mark job as success in autosys?
- Login to autosys wcc client url
- Locate the job you want to mark it as success
- Click on send event and select ‘mark as success’ from the drop-down list, then the job will be marked as success
You can perform the same through “send event” command in server command line.
To conclude, here are some genuine CA Workload Automation Reviews from subject matter experts, architects, analysts posted in itcentralstation.com.
Hope you liked AutoSys user guide topics covered in this post , please feel free to share above autosys reference manual.